Mercury Reduction in Healthcare Facilities

May 9, 2008


Kristi Ennis

Mercury is a neurotoxic heavy metal that has been commonly used in construction products and health care equipment for centuries. Like other persistent, bioaccumulative toxins, mercury does not break down in the environment. Instead it combines with carbon and creates an organic mercury compound known as methylmercury. Improper disposal of products containing mercury has led to contamination of waterways and subsequently wildlife, especially fish. Ingestion of contaminated fish and direct exposure through inhalation of mercury vapor has lead to increased mercury levels in humans, posing numerous health risks.

This PDF will help guide your approach to mercury reduction in your facility.

Mercury Reduction in Healthcare Facilities