Sustainable Business Practices at BA
One of our missions at Boulder Associates is to promote environmental stewardship throughout the company.
We describe environmental stewardship to include those ideas, strategies, tools, practices, and approaches that lead to environmental improvement in a manner that is sustainable over time, considers the long term effects as well as the shorter term, more immediate effects, and that which contributes positively to the social and economic condition of the firm, the community, and those whose lives we touch through our work.
The following are some of the ways in which we carry out this initiative, and we expect that all employees will participate in our endeavor:
- Boulder Associates has been a U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) member since February 2001 and is a founding member of the USGBC’s Colorado Chapter.
- Boulder Associates was a charter member of the Healthy Building Network’s Pharos Project which seeks to define a consumer-driven vision of truly green building materials and establish a method for evaluation that is in harmony with principles of environmental health and justice.
- We subsequently developed our own internal Healthy Materials Initiative, which seeks to create awareness around the impact of the materials we specify from all perspectives: material health, performance, durability, and global impact.
- Our Headquarters in Boulder, CO was the first LEED-CI project ever to certify, earning LEED-CI v2 Gold in October of 2005. In November 2019, this space was renovated and expanded, achieving LEED-CI v4/4.1 Gold.
- Boulder Associates is a longstanding member of the EPA’s Green Power Partnership, and since 2005 all offices have been powered by 100% renewable energy (such as wind, solar, & biomass) through the purchase of Green-e certified Renewable Energy Certificates.
- We are an AIA 2030 Commitment signatory firm and have been submitting our portfolio to the Design Data Exchange since 2016.
- Emissions related to business air travel and car rental are offset by planting trees. One tree is planted for each round-trip flight taken, and for each car rented. Offsets are calculated and purchased quarterly.
- Personal commuting is reduced through our hybrid work model, which encourages staff to work from home when appropriate.
- All employees are provided with commuter mass transit benefits.
- We are a Material Bank Carbon Neutral Partner Firm, prioritizing the reduction of packages and miles traveled to obtain product samples.
- Employees are encouraged to become LEED GA, LEED AP, and WELL AP accredited. Boulder Associates pays for the first attempt of the accreditation exams.
- Through our 401(k) program, employees have the ability to invest their retirement funds in socially and environmentally responsible mutual funds and companies.
- Reusable plates, mugs, cups and silverware are provided. When disposables are necessary, compostable products are provided at offices with available composting programs.
- The Boulder and San Francisco offices have aggressive composting programs. Other offices will implement similar programs when service become locally available.
- We are obsessed with reuse! Functional items that cannot be reused or repurposed in house are found new homes.
- All outdated electronics are recycled through environmentally responsible providers that guarantee intact reuse and/or safe disassembly and recycling of component materials (e-Stewards).
- Environmentally preferable purchasing includes paper, folders, envelopes, binders, utensils, tissues, and paper towels.
- Fair trade and/or organic coffee is offered.
- Printer toner cartridges are refilled offsite or recycled where available services exist.
- All purchases and leases of electronic equipment and appliances are evaluated for ENERGY STAR compliance.
- Where we control cleaning contracts, we require the use of “Green Cleaning” methods and products.